INDORAMA
Conversion of mothballed Louisiana cracker to run on ethane and propane / USD 175m investment / First Thai company to take advantage of shale gas boom / Start-up in 2017
World-leading PET producer Indorama Ventures (IVL, Bangkok / Thailand; www.indorama.net) has acquired a mothballed ethylene cracker at Carlyss, Louisiana / USA, near Lake Charles, and plans to revamp it to run on both ethane and propane feedstock. Seller is Occidental Petroleum (Los Angeles / California; www.oxy.com), one of three partners (including Milennium) in the defunct Equistar joint venture, which today is a subsidiary of LyondellBasell (Rotterdam / The Netherlands; www.lyondellbasell.com).

The Indorama group plans to invest USD 175m in the project, in which IVL will own 76% and sister company, Singapore-based Indorama Corporation (IRC) the remaining 24%. IRC is said to have ‘”significant” experience in cracking. The revamped facility is expected to start up by the end of 2017 with planned capacity of 370,000 t/y of ethylene and 30,000 t/y of propylene. Louisiana’s state government has pledged investment aid. CEO Aloke Lohia said the revamp will make the Indorama group the first Thai company to take advantage of the US shale gas boom, ahead of greenfield crackers under construction.

The integration of its business with olefins will provide the Indorama group with “a significant long term cost advantage across its North American footprint,” Lohia noted in announcing the Louisiana plans. Indorama is already a major US producer of ethylene derivatives such as purified ethylene oxide (PEO) and monoethylene glycol (MEG), with sites in Texas, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. Earlier this year, it acquired a 600,000 t/y PTA plant with the purchase of Canadian producer Cepsa Chimie Montreal – see Plasteurope.com of 25.03.2015.
29.09.2015 Plasteurope.com [232302-0]
Published on 29.09.2015
Indorama: Polyester-Weltmarkführer reanimiert US-CrackerGerman version of this article...

© 2001-2019 Plasteurope.com  |  Imprint  |  Privacy

Plasteurope.com is a business information platform for the European plastics industry. It is part of KI Kunststoff Information and PIE Plastics Information Europe, one of the leading content providers for the European plastics industry. We offer daily updated business news and reports, in-depth market analysis, polymer prices and other services for the international plastics industry, including a suppliers guide, career opportunities, a trade name directory and videos.

News | Polymer Prices | Material Databases | Plastics Exchange | Suppliers Guide | Jobs | Trade Names | Videos | Associations & Institutions | Register | Advertising

PIE – Plastics Information Europe | KI – Kunststoff Information | KunststoffWeb | Plastics Material Exchange | Polyglobe | K-Profi
© 2001-2019 by Plasteurope.com, Bad Homburg
Date of print: 25.08.2019 15:21:19   (Ref: 323503114)
Text and images are subject to copyright and other laws for protection of intellectual property.
Any duplication or distribution in any media as a whole or in parts requires prior written approval by Plasteurope. URL: http://www.plasteurope.com/news/detail.asp