RÖCHLING
Self-developed PLA compounds for car production / Glass-fibre and talc-reinforced types
With the three PLA types so far available under the new brand name “BioBoom”, Röchling (Mannheim / Germany; www.roechling.com) is continuing along the path previously outlined by CEO Hanns-Peter Knaebel for developing biopolymers for car parts (see Plasteurope.com of 25.05.2020). The materials come from an “entirely in-house controlled supply chain,” he explained. In the future, the automotive division wants to use the material to manufacture products for the engine compartment, the underbody and the interior. According to a spokesperson, Röchling does not intend, for the time being, to create any additional jobs for the implementation and further development of the project.

The PLA materials based on corn starch and lactic acid, which are produced by an unnamed compounding partner, consist of about 90% PLA. The remaining 10% is made up predominantly of polypropylene plus a small amount of polyamide – presumably polyamide 6. Apart from that, depending on the area of application of the finished part, the materials contain various additives, but these will also be substituted by bio-alternatives within the foreseeable future.

Three standard types are presently available: one with 30% glass fibre, one with 10% talc, and one with a mixture of 10% of each. Knaebel sees these materials as alternatives for most conventional thermoplastics such as polycarbonate, polyester, ABS, polyolefins and PA 6.

Röchling says it built up the necessary development expertise during many years of cooperation with various partners. The objective was to devise materials that had higher thermal stability and chemical resistance than standard PLA. Röchling’s BioBoom can, the company says, be used for almost the entire product portfolio: underbody covers, air intake and air valve systems, radiator grilles, filter boxes and door handles.
23.10.2020 Plasteurope.com [246192-0]
Published on 23.10.2020
Röchling: Eigenentwickelte PLA-Compounds für den AutomobilbauGerman version of this article...

© 2001-2021 Plasteurope.com  |  Imprint  |  Privacy  |  Cookie settings

Plasteurope.com is a business information platform for the European plastics industry. It is part of KI Kunststoff Information and PIE Plastics Information Europe, one of the leading content providers for the European plastics industry. We offer daily updated business news and reports, in-depth market analysis, polymer prices and other services for the international plastics industry, including a suppliers guide, career opportunities, a trade name directory and videos.

News | Polymer Prices | Material Databases | Plastics Exchange | Suppliers Guide | Jobs | Trade Names | Videos | Associations & Institutions | Register | Advertising

PIE – Plastics Information Europe | KI – Kunststoff Information | KunststoffWeb | Plastics Material Exchange | Polyglobe | K-Profi
© 2001-2021 by Plasteurope.com, Bad Homburg
Date of print: 22.01.2021 19:57:09   (Ref: 367586335)
Text and images are subject to copyright and other laws for protection of intellectual property.
Any duplication or distribution in any media as a whole or in parts requires prior written approval by Plasteurope. URL: http://www.plasteurope.com/news/detail.asp