Purchase of chemically reclaimed feedstock from Belgian recycler Renasci / Deal supports transition to circular economy
Renasci’s plant in Oostende / Belgium (Photo: Renasci)
Austrian polyolefins group Borealis (Vienna; has reached an agreement with Belgian recycler Renasci Oostende Recycling (Ostend; to acquire chemically recycled feedstock from Renasci’s centre in Belgium. A majority of the waste feedstock processed at there is derived from dried household refuse, with the remainder coming from industrial waste.

Borealis is expected to receive 20,000 t/y of chemically recycled feedstock from Renasci, which will be processed in Austrian group’s steam crackers at its production site in Porvoo / Finland, to manufacture “Borcycle C” circular polyolefins and circular base chemicals. As part of the “EverMinds” programme, Borealis has been developing technologies and products to support the transition from linear to circular economy, including its chemically recycled Borcycle C material group (see of 13.05.2021). The company is also considering the construction of a plant for chemical recycling of post-consumer plastics waste at its Swedish site in Stenungsund (see of 28.04.2021).

According to Martijn van Koten, Borealis’ executive VP of Base Chemicals and Operations, the agreement with Renasci complements its “ReOil” chemical recycling project, part of the company’s collaboration with oil and gas company OMV (Vienna;, which owns 75% of Borealis, with the remaining 25% held by investment firm Mubadala (Abu Dhabi / United Arab Emirates; ReOil’s pilot plant in Austria recycles plastics waste into synthetic crude, processing up to 100 kg/hr (see of 15.05.2019). “We notice a strong increase in demand for chemically recycled products. Borealis and OMV aim to increase supply of these more circular base chemicals and polyolefins in order to help our customers deliver on their own sustainability targets.”

Lucrèce Foufopoulos, Borealis’ executive VP for Polyolefins, Innovation & Technology, says, “The cooperation with Renasci allows us to offer our customers and partners virgin-like polyolefins from chemically recycled post-consumer waste in material quantities effective this quarter.”
21.06.2021 [247889-0]
Published on 21.06.2021
Borealis: Abnahmevertrag mit Recyclingspezialist Renasci geschlossenGerman version of this article...

© 2001-2024  |  Imprint  |  Privacy  |  Cookie settings is a business information platform for the European plastics industry. It is part of KI Kunststoff Information and PIE Plastics Information Europe, one of the leading content providers for the European plastics industry. We offer daily updated business news and reports, in-depth market analysis, polymer prices and other services for the international plastics industry, including a suppliers guide, career opportunities, a trade name directory and videos.

News | Polymer Prices | Material Databases | Plastics Exchange | Suppliers Guide | Jobs | Register | Advertising

PIE – Plastics Information Europe | KI – Kunststoff Information | KunststoffWeb | Plastics Material Exchange | Polyglobe | K-Profi
© 2001-2024 by, Bad Homburg
Date of print: 24.05.2024 09:03:40   (Ref: 1067792770)
Text and images are subject to copyright and other laws for protection of intellectual property.
Any duplication or distribution in any media as a whole or in parts requires prior written approval by Plasteurope. URL: